Remember we spoke of the siphon gun and how versatile it is in the hands of a pastry enthusiast? If you’re someone who is fascinated with texture, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t try this exquisite recipe handcrafted by Lavonne’s Chef Vinesh Johny. Obsessed with his new-favourite tool, the siphon gun, and with the unusual yet complementary flavours of lemon and chocolate, he has commissioned this scrumptious and absolute eye-candy of a dessert- the Citron Meringue Jardin.
CITRON MERINGUE JARDIN
- Icing sugar-60g
- Butter-60g (room temperature)
- Vanilla essence-5g
- In a measuring bowl, mix together icing sugar, eggs and butter, using your hand, till the ingredients form a smooth paste.
- Fold in the sieved flour, making sure there are no lumps in the paste.
- Cling wrap the dough and refrigerate it for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Once the sweet pastry is firm enough to roll, take it out of the refrigerator.
- Place half the sweet paste in the middle of a sheet of cling wrap and roll it to a thickness of 4 mm. Place the rolled out sweet pastry on a silicon mat .
- Using a 3 inch cookie cutter to cut out a disc
- Using a fork, dock the base.
- Bake at 170 degree Celsius for 17 minutes.
- Lime juice -75g
- In a bowl, heat the lime juice and sugar together till the sugar dissolves
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs
- Now add the hot lime and sugar mix into the eggs and whisk constantly to temper the eggs. (pour the lime and sugar mix in a thin stream into the eggs while whisking) Strain the mixture into another bowl to remove any lumps.
- Cook the mix over a water bath while still whisking. Once the mix has cooked for about 5-8 minutes and has turned pale yellow in colour, add the bloomed gelatine and whisk in the butter.
- Now cling wrap the mix making sure the wrap touches the surface of the curd, and refrigerate it.
- Pipe the lemon curd into spherical silicon moulds and freeze
- Egg white – 60g
- Castor sugar-120g
- In a bowl heat castor sugar and water at a low temperature. (With a pastry brush, drizzle water along the sides of the bowl so that sugar doesn’t recrystallize).
- When the sugar reaches 100 degree Celsius, start whipping the egg whites. When the sugar reaches soft ball stage (118 degrees Celsius), remove it from the heat.
- While continuously whisking the egg whites, in a thin stream, pour the above mixture over the egg whites.
- Add a drop of red colouring to achieve a rose pink colour meringue
- Keep whisking the meringue till it reaches room temperature and forms stiff peaks.
- Egg white-120g
- Egg yolk -80g
- Hazelnut paste -50g
- In a measuring jar, add all the ingredients and blend well using a stick blender.
- Strain and pour the mixture into a siphon gun.
- Place the siphon gun and the mixture in the fridge for 4 hours
- Charge the siphon gun with two charges and shake well.
- Force the mixture into a disposable cup half way through. Make sure the cup has slits at the bottom and microwave it for 40 seconds. Turn it upside down and allow it to cool.
- Egg White -50g
- Castor Sugar-50g
- Icing sugar-50g
- Vanilla Powder – 2gm
- Make French meringue with egg whites and castor sugar. In a deep bowl beat the egg whites until they get light and foamy. Add ¼ of the sugar and continue to beat. Slowly add in small intervals of three. Beat it till it reaches soft peaks.
- Fold in the icing sugar and vanilla powder, making sure there are no lumps.
- Put the meringue into a piping bag and pipe out long strings onto a silicon mat. Bake at 90 degrees Celsius for 1 hour.
- Chocolate -50g
- In a bowl heat water and add chopped chocolate. Cook till it seizes.
- Continue to cook till it dries out and forms crumbles.
- Cool it on a baking sheet.
- Place the sweet pastry disc on a white plate
- Arrange the lemon curd spheres to form a flower shape
- Fill in the spaces on the side with chocolate mud
- Using a rosette nozzle, pipe rosettes of meringue along the lemon curd and torch it
- Start placing in random, Hazelnut sponge, baked meringue, edible flowers, and micro herbs
- Finish the dessert with the lemon sphere dipped in toasted sesame seeds and place it in the centre.